Russell Bateman’s free and open software information site...
Links to my own pages for open software
Raw links to open software
Additional free or low-cost software links
List of software that I use everyday
- Firefox (ALL of my browsing at home and at work)
- Thunderbird (all my personal mail)
- OpenOffice (home and work—even when I have
- WinSCP (to maintain all my webpages from my Windows host)
- AVG and avast! Note that you have to be careful to get
the absolutely free version of AVG, the anti-virus I used to recommend.
Moreover, I had some trouble (resolved) once installing it on Windows
XP and, even after considerable searching and playing around, never
found a solution that would work for the new Windows Vista box in my
kitchen. But I still recommend AVG for use on Windows XP and 7.
- The GIMP (on Linux) I have to use this on Linux and it's pretty
gimpy to be sure: the tool controls aren't as accurate and useful as
those of PaintShopPro or Adobe PhotoShop, but it's free.
- Burn4Free (at home and at work)
- nVu I don’t use Nvu because I write all my HTML, CSS and
recommend any software, like FrontPage or Dreamweaver, that writes HTML
Important note on the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
Before downloading OpenOffice and other open software, it’s not a bad
idea to ensure you have the latest JRE
installed on your workstation. It is free for download and use. Click here and
then in the center of the page click the link titled, Download J2SE JRE.